Trusted Vestibular Testing Services in the Houston, TX, Area
If you’re having trouble with dizziness or imbalance, you have come to the right place. At Autumn Oak Speech, Voice & Hearing near Houston, Texas, we offer vestibular testing services to help determine the culprit of your symptoms.
The Harmony of Balance and the Vestibular System
Scientifically dubbed the vestibular system, the inner ear emerges as the cornerstone of balance. Nestled within the inner ear, the vestibular system relays crucial information to the brain regarding the body’s orientation and balance. Any disruption in this system can lead to a loss of equilibrium.
Depending on your unique case, you may participate in a test or series of tests designed to determine if your dizziness or imbalance is linked to a problem within your vestibular system. Vestibular testing consists of:
- Hearing testing: During this test, you will wear headphones or inserts and sit in a sound-treated room. Your audiologist will play a series of sounds and you will tell them what you hear.
- Visual testing: For this test, you will track a moving light with your eyes while an audiologist observes your eye movements.
- Positional testing: Positional testing evaluates how your vestibular system responds to changes in body position. During this test, you will track a moving light with your eyes while moving certain parts of your body.
- Rotary chair testing: For this test, you will be safely fastened to a computerized chair in a darkened room. When the chair rotates, infrared goggles will track your eye movements.
- Caloric testing: During this test, your eye movements will be tracked while warm or cool water is inserted into your ear canals.